Mineral makeup and natural cosmetics
What is mineral makeup? Is it the best option for me?
Today’s women and men are more health conscious than ever before. That may be one reason mineral makeup is gaining in popularity. Or perhaps it is because more people are seeing the benefits of mineral makeup for themselves. They are seeing the results and they want to stay healthy and look amazing.
- If you want to look like you, only with better skin, mineral makeup is for you.
- If you want to treat your body and skin with respect and kindness, mineral makeup is for you.
- If you desire to be natural, refined, and beautiful … you guessed it, mineral makeup.
Bellapierre products not only work with your body chemistry and are safe and healthy to wear, but our natural cosmetics give your face a healthy, flawless glow. And the best part? Bellapierre is totally affordable.
Would the Real Mineral Makeup Please Stand Up?
Many companies will tout their products as “natural cosmetics” or “mineral makeup.” But the truth is that any product that contains minerals can be sold as mineral makeup. Some companies will add in ingredients that are frequently found in traditional makeup such as dyes, preservatives, and other chemicals. So their product really isn’t so natural after all. Sometimes the term mineral makeup can be misleading.
When shopping for makeup, keep in mind that “natural” does not always mean “safe.” Certain ingredients can be toxic to humans and some have not been tested for an accurate assessment. Always check the list of ingredients on products you purchase. Here at Bellapierre, we like to be able to pronounce all of our ingredients. You won’t find anything bizarre or artificially manufactured in our makeup.
But at Bellapierre, our product contains only the best, pure ingredients directly from the Earth. We do not add perfumes or chemicals; and we do not test on animals.
What is the difference between traditional makeup and Bellapierre mineral makeup?
Since many traditional makeup products contain preservatives and other chemicals, some irritation may occur. Some products may clog pores and cause breakouts. Clients with especially sensitive skin or allergies may have trouble finding a traditional product that does not make problems worse. Unfortunately, traditional makeup may also cause effects such as hormonal disruptions, or some sources suggest even breast cancer. Traditional products are typically not environmentally friendly.
Our mineral makeup products are kind to your skin, hypoallergenic, and appropriate for all skin types. Our naturally preserved minerals provide a natural sunblock thanks to titanium/zinc oxides, and our products are designed for smooth, flawless coverage. No more cakey layers of makeup! Our products actually act as a barrier between your skin and harsh free radicals, while still letting your skin breathe. Our products are also ecologically friendly.
What is mineral makeup made of?
- Iron oxides: These help match your skin type and achieve your perfect color.
- Zinc oxide: Acts as a natural sunscreen. It is also an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
- Mica powders: These ingredients add glow and shimmer to foundations and concealers.
- Titanium dioxide: Another natural sunscreen, this ingredient helps give skin a luminous look and covers imperfections. It is also an anti-inflammatory, so it may help soothe and calm irritated skin.
- Organic oils: Our lip-glosses contain soothing oils that are perfect for chapped lips.
Some companies who advertise natural cosmetics will add bismuth oxychloride to their products. It is typically a white powder base. It is a mineral, but it is not a natural one. It is a metal derivative. It is frequently found in traditional products as well. It helps make the product more wearable and silky. Unfortunately bismuth is a chemical substance and can be quite irritating to the skin. Bellapierre is free of bismuth oxychloride. Our products are also nanoparticle-free. Nanoparticles are ingredients that have been micronized into ultra-small particles. They are so small that they can penetrate the skin’s barrier, possibly causing side effects that have not yet been studied.
Potentially Dangerous Ingredients in Traditional Makeup
Many men and women may not even be aware that they are applying toxic substances to their face, often in a form of a foundation. Here is a list of some substances that may be found in everyday, traditional makeup products. Always check the labels of the products you intend to use.
- Formaldehyde: A known carcinogen, neurotoxin, and skin sensitizer. It can be found in eye shadows, cleansers, nail polish, body washes, and more.
- Petroleum jelly: Could be contaminated with impurities.
- Diethanolamine, Triethanolamine (DEA, TEA): Toxic to respiratory system and a skin sensitizer.
- Parabens, ethylparaben, alkyl parahydroxybenzoate, isobutylparabens ,butylparaben, methylparaben, and propylparaben: Used as a preservative in many cosmetics. They are intended to prevent the growth of yeast, mold, and bacteria in cosmetics. Possibly endocrine disrupters, and a skin sensitizer. Some studies have found a link to breast cancer in women. May interfere with reproductive function in men.
- Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP): Toxic to immune system, kidneys, and liver. Considered a water pollutant under the Clean Water Act.
- 1,4-dioxane: A known carcinogen.
- Lead: Found in some brands of lipstick. No level is considered safe for children. Lipstick is one of the most commonly ingested makeup products.
- Siloxanes: This chemical is used to moisten, smooth, or soften. It is harmful to wildlife and fish, and is a suspected endocrine disrupter.
- Synthetic colors: Often derived from coal tar or petroleum sources. Possible carcinogen and skin irritants.
- Triclosan: Known endocrine disrupter, specifically reproductive hormones and the thyroid. It’s also a skin irritant.
- Propylene glycol: Suspected to cause dermatitis or even hives. It is a skin irritant and can be found in makeup products, moisturizers, hair sprays, and shampoo.
- Mercury: May be found in eye shadow. It is a neurotoxin.
What are the benefits of mineral makeup?
- Long lasting
A little goes a long way when it comes to mineral makeup. The pigment in our products last a long time and offer excellent skin protection in the meantime. Our products do not melt off your face in the heat and still look stunning in the evening. If you skin is particularly oily, using a mineral veil on top of foundation is typically enough to help your makeup last all day.
- Shelf life
Bellapierre products have a long shelf life. Most people do not want to have to throw something away after spending their hard-earned money on it. Our mineral makeup products are simple and do not harbor bacteria. We do recommend that once a jar of product is opened, that it should be disposed of after one year. Makeup brushes that come into contact with your skin can possibly transmit bacteria into your makeup.
Mineral makeup cosmetics are so fun to work with and create a look of your own. These products are wonderful for all skin shades and types. You can mix mineral foundation powderwith creams and moisturizers to liquidize it. Pure pigments blend with a variety of products. You can use just a light powder, or a concealer. Mineral makeup products can also be purchased as mascara, blush, bronzers, and lip-gloss. There is a myriad of shades to choose from, or mix your own to create your own unique color.
At Bellapierre, there are no chemicals, perfumes, or preservatives added. Mineral makeup adheres to your natural oils, and it does not clog pores. Mineral makeup is often recommended after chemical or laser peels, because it is soothing to skin and gentle on skin that may be irritated after such a procedure. Our products are safe and appropriate for people with allergies, gluten sensitivities, and other issues. It will not dry out your skin. Plus who can complain about the extra sun protection? And mineral makeup is safe for the environment, too. While you shouldn’t make it a habit, it is OK and safe to occasionally fall asleep without removing your makeup. If you have a severe skin problem, or if your skin is broken, always ask your doctor if it is safe for you to wear any makeup.
Our cosmetics contain only pure, crushed minerals. Our ingredients are all naturally occurring on Earth. Bellapierre products are designed to provide sheer coverage for a beautiful complexion as well as keep the user and environment safe. We are continuously improving to purify our products further. We also believe in beauty without cruelty and none of our products are tested on animals. All of our products are manufactured in the Netherlands. Bellapierre is not yet 100% vegan, but it is a goal of ours for the near future.
Say goodbye to the caked-on look of traditional makeup. Mineral makeup is easy to put on and will not feel heavy or look caked. It lets your skin breathe throughout the day and is easy to remove.
- Beautiful results
Mineral makeup helps reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles. It helps conceal acne or skin issues. Bellapierre gives skin a healthy, natural glow making you look younger and more vibrant. Both women and men see excellent results with our products.
What is Mineral Makeup used for?
With today’s cosmetics becoming chock full of chemicals and harmful ingredients, it’s no wonder people are turning to mineral makeup as their go-to. But other than the immensely large amount of chemicals in tradition makeup, why are people now switching to mineral based makeups?
The Beauty Benefits
Probably the #1 reason people are switching to this kind of makeup is to reap the beauty rewards that come with it. When they remove harmful chemical-ridden makeup from their lives their skin becomes so much more beautiful and youthful looking – not to mention overall healthier.
The Health Benefits
Your skin is an organ. And just like other organs in your body, it absorbs what you put onto it. This means that not only are they damaging their skin with chemicals by using traditional makeup, they’re also putting those chemicals directly into their body. By using mineral makeup they are eliminating the harm they’re doing.
Many mineral makeup companies package their products in recycled materials. This means that they are reducing that pollution in the world. It also means that if people throw away their container with some makeup still there, it won’t harm anything.
How to Apply Mineral Makeup
Natural mineral cosmetics are easy to apply. Use a brush for loose or pressed powder products. Mineral makeup does not necessarily require a primer. You can use your favorite moisturizer with mineral makeup, but wait until it has absorbed or you risk an uneven canvas.
- Put up a small amount of powder and work it into the kabuki brushso it is even.
- The longer the hair on the brush, the more coverage you will achieve.
- Begin on the area of the face that needs the most coverage.
- Work in short, downward strokes.
- It is better to layer than trying to cover everything at once.
- Clean your makeup brushes and tools regularly.
A common mistake for those new to mineral makeup is applying too much. A little goes a long way!
Removing mineral makeup is just as easy. Soap and water, makeup remover, or facial wipes will all get the job done. No special products are required for removal.
If you happen to spill a product, a moist wipe, household cleaner or a paper towel are appropriate to remove any spills from your floor or counter.